torstai 4. kesäkuuta 2009

Dublin

The first stop on my journey to South America is Dublin. I originally booked my Peru-Ecuador trip in an Irish travel agency USIT, which means that I had to stop in Dublin in order to catch my flight first to Madrid and from there to Lima, Peru. I came here for 5 days to meet a good friend of mine, Simon, who let me crash at his couch as well as to shop around for the hiking clothes and Spanish books.

The day when I arrived the weather was absolutely lovely - sunny and warm, we decided to go to an Italian restaurant to have lunch. The restaurant had a special lunch offer: one big plate of food that one could choose from a big selection of dishes. There were various kinds of pastas, meats, vegetarian foods, potato dishes and salads.. and it cost only 9 €. I hadn’t eaten anything since early in the morning, so I was starving and delighted that I could start my day in Dublin with such delicious food! After the lunch I went to Simon’s place to drop my stuff there and get ready for the evening’s concert in Whelans. Simon’s friend Peter had invited us to American singerRodriquez’concert, which started around 9 pm. I was first a bit suspicious as I had never heard of the singer before, but I was positively surprised. He has a soft, smoky and really charismatic voice. He sang mainly rock ballads about women, drugs and travelling without a destination. My favourite song of his is “the inner city blues” that goes: “going down a dirty inner city side road/ I plotted/ Madness passed me by, she smiled hi/I nodded /Looked up as the sky began to cry/ She shot it”. The concert place was small - there was barely any space to move around, but atmosphere was great. Everyone was dancing and singing along. After the concert we went to a couchsurfing party to the Blue goose. There seemed to be people from all over the world. I met a girl from Bulgaria, two guys from Ireland, two girls from Brazil and one guy from the US within 3 hours. It was really nice to chat with them. Other good things about the party was that there was free food (French fries, sausages, chicken wings etc) and cheap drinks. I bought a pint of Bulmers, but I couldn’t more than half of it as it tasted so bad. I did taste equally bad last time I drank it, but I had forgotten that I didn’t particularly like the it. Well.. Besides that we had craic and I’m looking forward to the next couchsurfing parties in Argentina.



These are Simon and Peter





Rodriquez


On Sunday Simon and I woke up late in the morning. It was around noon when we got out of bed and had breakfast. The weather was even warmer (26 degrees!) than the day before, so we went to have a picnic in the park close by. It was completely packed with people throwing Frisbee, sunbathing, playing with their kids and dogs etc. It was so pleasant just to lie on the grass and let the sun warm our faces. We at bread and grapes we bought from the store and chatted about Simon’s four month journey to South America. He travelled with a big group of people there and visited among others, Peru, Ecuador and Argentina. His stories were entertaining and I got plenty of good hints about places to visit and things to try. I’m looking forward especially going to Machu Picchu as Simon told so much about how beautiful the scenery is and how unforgettable the trip was for him.



This is me and Simon

Monday was a bank holiday, so it was a holiday also for Simon. We started our day by going to the Maritime festivalin the Docklands. It’s primarily a marketplace, where people sell food, clothes and art from all over the world. We saw among others sauces from Africa, clothes from South America and art from Asia. Even though the narrow streets was completely crowded with people it was nice to stop by to listen to music and taste samples of African and Australian cuisine. From there we continued our journey to Dun laoghaire (pronounced dunleary) to sunbath and take photos. The place is a small seaside town just 20 minutes away from Dublin. It’s a really picturesque place with its two massive piers, white houses by the sea and it hundreds of meters long beach. I could actually imagine of living in a town like this, where the sea is just a stone’s throw away, there are cosy and cheap restaurants to drink wine and have craic with friends and there are small live music venues, where both local up-and-coming bands and foreign bands come to perform every now and then.





This is the east pier



Tuesday and Wednesday went by quickly. I spent the days walking around in the city centre taking photos, buying stuff that I need for my trip (such as books about Argentina and Ecuador, a Spanish phrasebook and a dictionary as well as a wind-proof jacket for my hiking trip). I must have walked around 6-7 hours each day, so I was totally knackered by the time I came back to Simon’s place. Anyway, here are some photos I took in Dublin..



Temple bar



Modern art in Dublin



St. Stephen's green

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti